Lettuce Salad with Tomato and Cucumber. Lettuce is a rich source of vitamins K and A and possesses numerous impressive health benefits.
It may help in controlling inflammation, reducing body weight,
Table of Contents
Lettuce Salad with Tomato and Cucumber
- 2 medium 1 lb Cucumbers
- 4 medium bunch 1 lb Tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 1 large bunch 1 lb lettuce coarsely chopped
- 1 small bunch Dill finely chopped
- ¼ cup white or red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Garlic and vinegar to taste optional
- In a large bowl, add all ingredients in order as listed and as you are preparing them (washing and chopping the vegetables).
- Stir well and gently, and serve immediately or within a few hours.
Store: To make ahead, refrigerate all vegetables covered in a bowl, and add oils, salt and pepper right before serving (as soon as you add salt - salad "leaks").
- Use garden's bounty or winter store's availability. Any type of cucumbers (pickle, dill, garden, long English, Persian), peeled or not, work.
- Any type of full-grown, grape or cherry tomatoes work.
- As for lettuce - Boston, red leaf, romaine, butter, green leaf are great. Just make sure to chop all vegetables in similar sizes.
promoting brain health, and reducing the risk of cardiovascular diseases. But there is more to lettuce that one must know.
Lettuce is a non-starchy vegetable. One report by the World Cancer Research Fund suggests that non-starchy veggies can protect against several types of cancers, including those of the mouth, throat, oesophagus, and stomach.
Lettuce contains modest amounts of folate. Folate deficiency may also lead to some forms of anemia.
Folate also helps fight megaloblastic anaemia, which is another type of anaemia where the blood cells are very large and underdeveloped.
It is of vital importance that our body properly metabolises the food that we take.
Otherwise, it will not be possible for us to get the required energy that is required to function properly.
Due to the presence of iron, magnesium and potassium, lettuce intake helps to improve the metabolic processes in the body.
Lettuce also contains Vitamin B-complex which aids metabolism.
Lettuce extracts have anti-inflammatory properties due to the presence of biocatalysts like lipoxygenase and carrageenan.
Thus various ailments resulting from inflammation can be avoided by including lettuce in diet.