Honestly, I was skeptical of this Delicious Coconut-Creamed Corn and Grains as I didn’t know whether the aromatics were able to carry the dish. I finally made this Delicious Coconut-Creamed Corn and Grains with quinoa and of course fresh corn and crispy onions. I also used farro, added some red pepper flakes, and Left the seeds in the jalapeñofor extra spice. Lime juice on top made it wonderful! It tastes yummy as a side dish or meal.
Don’t skip on the lime and if I cook it again I will invest in the crispy onions as topping because they make everything better.
Delicious Coconut-Creamed Corn and Grains
- 2 ears of fresh corn, husked
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ serrano chile or jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 1½ piece fresh ginger, peeled, sliced into matchsticks
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced, plus more for serving
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 cup cooked grains, such as freekeh, farro, or quinoa
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk, plus more for serving
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp store-bought crispy onions, such as Lars Own, French’s, or Maesri
- Lime wedges (for serving)
- Cut kernels from corn; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium until shimmering. Cook chile, ginger, garlic, and 1 sliced scallion, tossing, until softened and fragrant, 1–2 minutes.
- Add turmeric and cook, stirring frequently, just until darkened and fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add reserved corn and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, tossing occasionally, until corn is beginning to lightly brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add grains and cook, tossing often, until heated through and beginning to crisp around the edges, about 2 minutes.
- Add ½ cup coconut milk; season with salt. Bring to a simmer and cook, adding 1–2 Tbsp. water if needed to loosen, until flavors have melded, about 3 minutes.
- Transfer corn mixture to a plate. Drizzle with more coconut milk, then top with crispy onions and sliced scallions. Serve with lime wedges alongside for squeezing over.