Easy one-pot Mushroom pepper soup! Cremini and oyster mushrooms soup in a spicy broth made with fresh basil, ginger, garlic onions, and other African spices.
- ~3/4 lbs cremini/ oyster mushrooms
- 3 cups of water
- 4 Njangsa seeds
- 1 large basil leave
- 1 small sprig Parsley
- 1/4 small onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 inch cube ginger
- 2 medium habanero peppers (Adjust heat level accordingly)
- salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (optional)
- Thoroughly wash and slice mushrooms. Slice and transfer to a medium saucepan. Blend all ingredients with about half a cup of water and add to the pan. Add some salt (Don’t over do it because as you cook, the water evaporates and you might be in trouble)
- Cover and simmer on medium for about 20-25 minutes or until mushrooms are soft enough. Season with more salt if necessary, add in canola oil, stir for a minute or so and serve.
Any type of mushroom will work, shiitake will have a little more bite which makes it more meaty if you really enjoy chewing on your goat meat pepper soup but wanted something new.
Country onion, another very aromatic Cameroonian spice is optional and impacts another depth of flavor.