This Vegan African Carrot-Tomato Soup is an African inspired, nourishing, dairy-free and paleo recipe. Make the tomato carrot soup for a quick meal anytime!
It’s quick to make and naturally paleo and vegan. A soup for any season!
Vegan Tomato Soup Ingredients
- Tomatoes – Whole peeled work best. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant that has been shown to low blood pressure and protects against certain types of cancers.
- Carrots- The more variety the better. I choose yellow and orange, but I think adding purple carrots would be divine!
- Onion – Do you know green onion is rich in biotin and quercetin, which you know I love! Quercetin helps fight oxidative stress. See my quercetin rich smoothie.
- Coconut Milk – A dose of healthy fats.
- African Inspired Spices and Sauces – Curry sauce or chili sauce, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, a pinch of cloves. All full of Anti-inflammatory properties, healing, and soothing for the body!
- Almond butter for extra creaminess. And a dose of Vitamin E.
- Vegetable Broth
- Toppings – Crushed nuts, fresh herbs (parsley or cilantro both are lovely), lime, red pepper flakes, and a drizzle of olive oil.
Vegan African Carrot-Tomato soup has so many wonderful healing nourishing ingredients, not to mention flavor.
Bonus nutrition fact about yellow carrots!
Yellow carrots (see below) are rich in lutein, a pigment similar to beta- carotene (think orange). Both are absorbed as Vitamin A in the body.
Vegan African Carrot-Tomato Soup
- 5 Green onions, stem only (or 1/3 c chopped white onion)
- ½ to 1 tbsp Olive oil
- Two 6 inch Carrots- peeled and chopped (extra for garnishing if desired)
- 10 ounces of vegetable broth
- 28 ounces Can of whole peeled tomatoes, drained
- ½ Juice of a lime
- 1 tbsp Creamy almond butter
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ¼ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp red curry paste (see notes for substitutes)
- ½ cup coconut milk (canned)
- 1½ tbsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch mixed with equal parts cold water or non dairy milk.
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley or green onion
- Red pepper flakes
- Place onion, oil, and chopped carrots in stock pot. Cook in pan on medium heat for 5-8 minutes or until onions are browned and carrots softened.
- Add 10 ounces of vegetable broth and whole peeled tomatoes. Mix and simmer 5 minutes.
- Carefully transfer soup into a blender (or Vitamix) and puree until creamy. You can also use a hand blender.
- Place pureed soup back in the stock pot. Add the onion powder and arrowroot “slurry” (see notes) and cook on medium low, whisking, for another 5 minutes. You don’t want arrowroot starch to cook too long with the soup. It best to add last.
- If using corn starch, you can add it sooner and cooker longer and it thickens food quickly and at higher temperatures and won’t break down.
- Taste and adjust salt/spices if needed.
- Serve and garnish with toppings of choice.
- Store in fridge covered for up to 5 days or freeze.