Sweet plantain and black bean bowl
A Cameroonian classic also known as dodo and beans. Served at gatherings called njangi and other festive occasions like weddings.
- 3 Cups cooked black beans ((Salted))
- 2 Cups Roma Tomatoes diced
- 1 Cup Onions (Diced)
- 1/2 Inch cube ginger
- 1/2 Small Onions ((To be Blended))
- 1 Spring onion
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves
- 1 Small scotch bonnet or harbanero
- 1-2 Tbsp canola oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 Large Ripe plantain
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add in onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Add in diced tomatoes and cook for another 5-7 minutes. Add black beans, stir well and cook for a couple of minutes or so.
- Blend onions, garlic, ginger, spring onions and scotch bonnet with about 1/4 cup of water. Add into the skillet with 1/2 cup of water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt. Serve with ripe plantains
- Heat oil in a small fry pan ( oil enough to just cover the bottom of the pan)
- Wash, peel, and slice plantain into thin angled strips.
- Once oil is hot carefully add in plantains. Cook for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Serve with beans