Stuffed chillies in walnut sauce
Can you take the heat? In reality the creamy sauce helps counter the heat from the peppers. Gorgeous served with salads, rice or potato wedges.
- 12 large chilli peppers
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3/8 cup (2 oz / 55g) cashew nuts, chopped
- 2 level tsp mixed peel
- 2 dssp raisins
- 7/8 cups (4 oz / 115g) walnuts, roughly ground
- 7/8 cup (7 floz / 200ml) soya cream
- 1/4 cup (2 floz / 60ml) soya milk
- 1/2 cup (2 oz / 55g) vegan cheese, grated
- In a preheated oven (190C/375F/gas mark 5) bake the chilli peppers for about 10 minutes or until they start to soften.
- Remove from the oven, make a slit in each from top to bottom and allow to cool.
- Fry the onion until soft, remove from heat and add the tomato, cumin, cashews, mixed peel and raisins. Mix well.
- With a knife or teaspoon, scrape the seeds from inside the chilli peppers. Carefully stuff them with the filling.
- Place in an ovenproof dish. Make the sauce by heating all the ingredients together, stirring until the cheese melts.
- Pour this over the chilli peppers and bake for 10 minutes.