Red pepper courgette and ‘bacon’ mini-quiche
These tasty and colourful mini-quiches make great starters for a dinner party extravaganza.
- 3 cups (340g / 12 oz) plain wholemeal flour
- 3/4 cup (170g / 6 oz) margarine
- water to bind
- 2 medium onions
- 2 medium courgettes
- 2 medium red peppers
- 2 cups (1 lb / 450g) tofu
- 1/2 pkt Redwoods cheatin’ bacon, chopped small – optional
- 1 level dssp mixed herbs
- 1 1/2 dssp tomato puree
- 1 level tsp salt
- generous pinch black pepper and ginger
- 1 1/2 pack of vegan cheese
- enough soya milk to make a paste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- First make the pastry by rubbing the margarine into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add enough water to make a dough which is soft, but not sticky. If possible place in a plastic bag in the fridge for ½ an hour.
- Roll out the pastry and use a cutter (about 2.75 inch) to cut the pastry into rounds. Place them all onto a bun tray and bake for 10 minutes to set the pastry.
- Now make the filling: chop the onions fairly fine; and chop the courgettes and red pepper small.
- Fry the onions for a few minutes then add the courgettes and red pepper. Fry until they begin to soften.
- Cube the tofu and chop the ‘bacon’ into bits. Add the tofu, ‘bacon’, herbs, tomato puree and condiments and fry a bit longer.
- Take off the heat and add the cheese and enough soya milk to make a paste.
- Place about a heaped teaspoon into each mini-quiche. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Makes about 50 delicious mini-quiches.