This Delicious Vegan Mango And Cashew Ice Cream is tasty and packed with protein and healthy fats.
Did you know that 75% of the fats found in cashew nuts are unsaturated fatty acids, plus about 75% of this unsaturated fatty acid content is oleic acid, the same heart-healthy monounsaturated fat found in olive oil. Studies show that oleic acid promotes good cardiovascular health. The ice cream is both sweet and creamy and absolutely delicious. This is a lactose-free, egg-free, and gluten-free ice cream and of course vegan.
You will not need an ice cream maker to make this ice cream although you will need a food processor. You can use a blender although some blenders are not powerful enough to grind cashew nuts sufficiently.
Note that you will need to let the dates soak in the mango (or orange) juice for 1 hour (or longer) before use.
Delicious Vegan Mango And Cashew Ice Cream
- 125 g (4¾ oz) cashew nuts, ground in a food processor
- 125 g (4¾ oz) pitted dates, chopped coarsely
- 250 g (8¾ oz) mango or orange juice
- 2 ripe bananas, chopped coarsely
- 1 very ripe mango (small), ripe, chopped coarsely
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- First, place the 125 grams cashew nuts in a food processor and blend for 1 minute. Set aside in a large bowl. Scrape the insides of the bowl and continue blending for 30 seconds or so or until there are no large pieces left. Set aside.
- Chop the 125 grams dates coarsely.
- Pour the 250 milliliters of mango or orange juice into a medium bowl and place the 125 grams dates in the juice. Soak for one hour.
- Chop the 2 small bananas coarsely.
- Turn the mango up on the skinny side. The stone is a flat oval, so you will find your mangoes are narrower one way than the other in alignment with the stone.
- Cut off the "cheeks" of the mango, each side, as close to the stone as possible. If you hit the stone, just swerve around it a little. Now take a cheek and peel the skin off with a small knife.
- Next, peel the skin off the centerpiece with the stone. Peel it all the way around and leave no skin on the edge.
- Transfer the cashew nuts, dates, and mango or orange juice as well as chopped mango and bananas into the food processor. Blend for 30 seconds or until completely smooth. You might need to do this in batches.
- Add the 2 tablespoons coconut oil and blend for 5 seconds. You might need to scrape the insides of the food processor. Continue blending for 10 seconds and then transfer everything to the bowl with the cashew nuts. Combine and mix very well.
- If using an ice cream maker: Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze-churn for about 30 minutes, until it has the consistency of soft-scoop ice cream.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker: Pour the ice cream mixture into a polythene freezer box and freeze for about 2 hours. Whisk thoroughly to break up the ice crystals (or use a food processor or blender).
- Re-freeze and repeat the process after 2-3 hours until it becomes difficult to stir the ice cream. Return the ice cream to the freezer box and freeze until needed. Transfer to the fridge 1hour before serving.