Delicious Charred spring onions & teriyaki tofu. This Charred spring onions & teriyaki tofu is very tasty, easy to cook and low in fat.
Delicious Charred spring onions & teriyaki tofu
Stir up this delicious Charred spring onions & teriyaki tofu presented with wholegrain rice in only 30 minutes. Simple and low in fat, this vegetarian dish is perfect for busy weeknights.
Servings 2 people
- 150 g wholegrain rice
- 50 ml soy sauce
- 2 tbsp mirin
- ½ tsp grated ginger
- 350 g firm tofu (we used Cauldron)
- 1 bunch spring onions ends trimmed
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- ½ tsp sesame seeds
- 1 red chilli sliced (optional)
- Cook the rice according to pack instructions. Pour the soy sauce, mirin, ginger and honey into a small saucepan and add 50ml water. Bring to a simmer and cook for around 5 mins or until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside until needed.
- If your tofu doesn’t feel very firm, you’ll need to press it. To do this, wrap the block of tofu in a few layers of kitchen paper, then weigh it down with a heavy pan or tray for 10-15 mins – the longer you press it, the firmer it will be. Cut the tofu into thick slices.
- Heat a griddle pan over high heat and lightly brush the tofu and spring onions with the oil. Griddle the tofu and spring onion until deep char lines appear on both sides(around 4 mins each side) – you may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your griddle pan.
- Divide the cooked rice between two plates, top with the tofu and spring onion, then drizzle with the teriyaki sauce. Garnish with the sesame seeds and sliced red chilli, if using.
Recipe source: bbcgoodfood.com