Cucumber and Chinese leaf with gado-gado sauce
Gado-Gado is a classic Far Eastern sauce that goes beautifully with the crisp freshness of cucumber and Chinese leaf. The combination of hot and cold in this dish is one to savour.
Serves 4 as side salad
- 1/2 cucumber
- 4 pieces of Chinese leaf, shredded
- 3/8 – 1/2 cup (2 oz / 55g) peanuts, toasted
- 1 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup (1/4 pint / 140ml) water or stock
- 1/2 tsp molasses
- Squeeze of lemon
- Set equal portions of cucumber and Chinese leaf in four individual bowls.
- Grind the peanuts using a food processor or place them in a double plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Over a medium heat, saute onion in the oil until transparent. Add the crushed garlic and water or stock along with the molasses and the peanuts. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, when the sauce should be nicely thickened.
- Remove from heat. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste
- Pour gado-gado sauce over the cucumber and Chinese leaf and serve immediately.