Cooking broccoli: 5 delicious variants. Cooking broccoli is neither complicated nor laborious. When prepared in a varied way, broccoli is a versatile and delicious vegetable.
Boil broccoli or better steam it?
Steaming is particularly gentle on vitamins and minerals. For this, you need a pot with an insert for steaming.
- First, wash the broccoli and divide it into equal-sized florets.
- Now fill the pot with a few centimeters of water.
- Insert the steamer insert and add the vegetables as soon as the water boils.
- Steam the broccoli with the lid closed over medium heat for three to five minutes.
- Once the florets have reached the desired cooking time, remove the lid immediately or it will become too soft.
The vegetables are ready to be served.
When you boil broccoli, the vitamins end up in the cooking water. With steam cooking, they remain in the vegetable. This is the great advantage of this method.
Almost cooked: blanching broccoli
If you need the broccoli lightly cooked, for example for a homemade pizza or salad, you can blanch it.
To prepare: Prepare ice water. Then proceed as follows:
- Cut the broccoli into equal-sized pieces.
- You can use the stalk, but please peel it. It is easier to digest that way.
- Heat water in a pot and add salt.
- Then add the florets and the chopped stalk to the boiling water.
- Leave them in the boiling water for only about 1-2 minutes.
- Then immediately quench them in ice water. This will stop the cooking process.
Now you can either use the broccoli right away or freeze it for storage.
Prepare broccoli in the oven deliciously
Baked broccoli is an interesting change from cooked broccoli. Combined with a delicious dip, it makes an ideal finger food.
- Wash and chop the broccoli.
- Pat it dry.
- Put the pieces in a bowl and mix them with one to two tablespoons of olive oil and some salt.
- Place the florets on an oiled baking sheet (feel free to include the peeled and shredded stalk).
- Bake the broccoli at 220°C for about half an hour.
Broccoli from the pan
In order for broccoli to cook in the pan without burning, it is recommended that you blanch it beforehand. This way, it becomes a tasty side dish thanks to the roasting aromas.
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan.
- Add the blanched florets.
- Fry them lightly, tossing them.
- Finally, season them with salt and spices to your taste.
Uncooked broccoli – a vitamin bomb as a raw food
Broccoli is not only delicious when cooked. It also looks good on a raw vegetable platter.
First, wash the florets and stalk carefully. Then cut the florets into bite-sized pieces. You can also eat the stalk raw. Just peel it and cut it into small pieces. However, it is not as easy to digest as the florets.
In conclusion, I hope you will enjoy trying it out, and please do not forget to leave your comments below.