Brown Rice Crackers Recipe
As the name suggests rice crackers are crackers made from rice. When steamed rice is pressed together and baked they form into small, crispy treats that are a great substitute for crisps and bread.
They are nutritious and easy-to-prepare snacks that could be enjoyed by kids as well as adults. They can be devoured as it is or even topped with avocado or strawberries or any syrup such as chocolate or maple. These bulk rice crackers are a great solution for a quick snack to be enjoyed anywhere and at any time of the day!
Rice Crackers Recipe
In order to enjoy this delicious and mouthwatering delight, you could buy it from a nearby grocery store. They are numerous rice cracker brands in the market to choose from. Or you could even make it in your house, on your own for your friends and family.
Listed below is an appetizing and easy rice crackers recipe that would be quick and fun to make from scratch.
Brown Rice Crackers
- Baking tray
- Large bowl
- Parchment paper
- Rolling Pin
- 2 1/2 Cups Cooked Sushi Rice
- 1 tbsp Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Oil
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Wash the sushi rice properly and boil them in filtered water for 20 minutes until cooked properly. Strain away all the remaining water from the rice and place them in a separate large bowl.
- In the cooked rice add 1 tablespoon of virgin oil and 1 teaspoon of paprika powder. You can then add salt and pepper according to your taste. The amount of spice and seasoning would depend on the fact whether the sushi rice was seasoned when cooked before.
- Mix the batter with a spatula so that all the ingredients are well combined and the seasoning is evenly distributed.
- Pour the mixture in the grinder and grind it until a soft dough is formed. Take out the dough again in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius and line the baking tray with parchment paper.
- Wet your hands slightly and then with the help of a tablespoon take out a spoonful of the dough mixture and roll it in your hands. In order to form perfectly round, golf-sized balls.
- Keep making the balls and place them on the baking tray with proper distance in between.
- Once all the balls are placed on the tray, lay down another sheet of parchment paper on top of the balls. Now flatten each ball, either using your fingers or a rolling pin. Press down the balls such that all of them are squashed at the same time and also evenly.
- Remove the parchment paper from above and bake the dough in the oven for about 20 to 25 minutes, until it turns golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Allow the crackers to cool down. They should be quite crunchy by the end. You can then store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tips For Making Crackers At Home
Although you may follow the recipe as described above, these are certain experimented tips that would give your rice crackers the extra delicious taste:
- When rolling the rice mixture into balls make sure your hands are wet. This would prevent the rice from sticking to your hand.
- Instead of using freshly cooked rice, you should prefer using the leftover short-grain rice, for example, the sushi rice. This would give the rice some extra texture and would also prevent the rice from being wasted.
- Make sure that you portion the crackers evenly, so they have the same level of thickness. Otherwise, they may get burnt from the outside and be soggy from the centre when baked.
- If you wish to shape your crackers, you can even use cookie cutters or the back of the glass to do so.
- Keep an eye on the crackers while they are in the oven because it would take barely a minute for them to go from being perfectly baked to burnt black. Turn off the oven as soon as they start to turn golden. The existing heat would cook the rest of the cracker.
Are Rice Crackers Healthy?
Rice crackers have been claimed to be a healthy substitute to regular crisps or crackers. Considering the fact that these crackers are baked and not fried makes them a suitable choice for people wanting to live a healthy lifestyle, without compromising on their taste buds.
This gluten-free cracker gives you the crunchy bite while also satisfying the desire of crisps or wafers.
These brown rice crackers might be a healthy substitute when compared to other crackers, however, when viewed as an individual food item – it may not be the best choice! The high amounts of salt, fats and artificial flavours do not make it ideal for munching freely.
They are not as nutritious as one might think because first, they are made from refined rice, which usually has a very low content of fibre and proteins. Moreover, they have high GI which is prone to increasing blood sugar levels. Secondly, they are a little more than refined carbohydrates and can sabotage one’s weight loss journey.
Comments are closed.